In August 1953 people gathered at what is now the John Flynn’s Grave Historical Reserve to pay a final tribute to the Reverend John Flynn. The urn containing his ashes was placed into the monument and cranes lifted the boulder onto the monument.
The rock which marked the grave of the Reverend John Flynn, was removed from the Devil’s Marbles (Karlukarlu) 400 km north of Alice Springs and placed on the grave as a mark of honour.
On 14 November 1976 the ashes of Mrs Jean Flynn (the wife of John Flynn) were also laid to rest within the same grave. Two stainless steel caskets were fabricated to contain the ashes of both John and Jean Flynn and these were embedded permanently, along with records, within the base of the grave.