On June 26, the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr. R. G. Menzies, laid the foundation stone of the John Flynn Memorial Church at Alice Springs. The stone and the site of the church was dedicated by Rev. J. Gray Robertson, Convenor of the Australian Inland Mission Board.
Two New Australians, Fiorianni Brothers, of Adelaide, travelled to Alice Springs and made by hand 17,000 marble faced blocks, some weighing 120 lb, of eighteen different shapes. A plate – glass window thirty feet long and ten feet high will let the light of the sun, moon and stars into the church. A sculptured, symbolic mural incorporating Flynn’s visions, dreams and attainments will be emblazoned, on a great red sandstone shield within the church.
References: The Farmer and Settler (Sydney), 2nd July 1954 via Monument Australia